Bergen Swamp properties are special places where you will find unique associations of plants and animals. Bergen Swamp and Zurich Bog are listed on the National Registry of
National Natural Landmarks. All Bergen Swamp properties are owned by the Bergen Swamp Preservation Society. They are open to the public by
permission of the society. The chief goals of the Society are the protection and management of these unique communities, the education of the public about these
areas and scientific research.
In keeping with these goals, the properties of the Society are open to visitors
interested in learning more about these unique communities. For the safety of visitors and the protection of the flora and fauna of these properties, we require
visitors to adhere to the following guidelines:
- Groups of six or more are not allowed on the properties without prior written permission from BSPS.
- No collecting or damage to plants or animals is permitted.
- No harassing of animals is allowed.
- No releasing of plants or animals is permitted.
- No pets are permitted, other than those registered as service dogs.
- No "gardening" for photography will be allowed.
- No littering.
- Visitors must stay on trails. This is to protect the visitor from getting lost and to protect fragile habitats from damage.
- Please respect marked research sites; do not touch, move or damage research equipment or barriers.
- Visitors are responsible for their own safety. Poisonous Massasauga rattlesnakes may be encountered in Bergen Swamp. Both Bergen Swamp and Zurich Bog have unstable soils, so visitors should watch their footing. The Society recommends that visitors not walk on trails alone.
- Visitors should wear appropriate footwear (boots). The trails on these wetland properties are rugged and may be very wet. Come prepared and you will enjoy your visit.
- The rugged nature of the trails makes them inaccessible to people who have difficulty walking. The trails are definitely not wheelchair accessible.
- Children should be supervised at all times. The Society requires that an adult accompany all children under the age of 16.
- No alcoholic beverages or smoking are permitted on BSPS property.
Important Safety Notice!
All trails at all BSPS properties are closed to the public during the firearms hunting season from aproximately mid-November through Christmas. These include Bergen
Swamp, Zurich Bog, Taylor Marsh, Slater Preserve, and Hotchkiss Preserve.